Fibromyalgia is a syndrome that mainly targets soft tissues and muscles in body. Its incidence is considerably more among women than in men. It usually occurs in the first half of life but may surface any time from childhood. According to Ayurveda, this condition is due to the imbalance of certain body energies, specifically within the muscles, tendons and ligaments.
According to Ayurveda, fibromyalgia undoubtedly reflects weak digestion, channels blocked by toxins and weakened dhatus (tissues). Generally all three doshas are out of order though vata often dominates the clinical picture. The main focus of Ayurvedic treatment is to balance of the disturbed body and strengthen the muscles and nervous system. Toxins are cleansed from the body channels and digestion is improved to prevent the recurrence of their accumulation. Stress reducing techniques such as yoga, pranayama and meditation are also recommended, in addition to diet and lifestyle adjustments to remove the causative factors.
Stiffness in joints
- Sleep disturbances
- Memory impairment
- Anxiety or depression
- Chronic muscle pains
No specific cause has been pointed out for fibromyalgia though many things life genetic factors, lifestyle, mental stress, disturbed digestive system, physical traumas and sleep disturbances are suspected behind the pathology. From Ayurvedic perspectives, poor nourishment, disturbed digestion and accumulation of toxins (ama) in channels appears to be the causes of the syndrome.
Diet & Lifestyle:
- Taking care of digestion and maintaing good fitness levels hold key in this disease.
- Proper food timings, light food and mainly vegetarian meals protect gastric fire and avoid production of toxins.
- Avoiding incompatible combinations like eating fish and milk together or milk and JAGGERY together is desirable.
- Doing Yogasan and Sooryanamaskar strengthen the muscles and improve fitness.
- Mix a combination of ashwagandha powder, shatavari powder and bala root powder in equal quantities and store in glass bottle. Take one teaspoon of this with warm milk or water twice daily.
- Make a powdered preparation of dried ginger root, celery seeds and cumin seeds in equal quantities, add rock salt to taste and have 1 teaspoon with water at bedtime.
- Massage your whole body gently with lukewarm sesame oil and follow with hot fomentation. It is effective in relieving fatigue.
Note: Medicine should be taken according to vaidya/docter
Treatment with Remedies