Influenza, commonly referred to as the flu, is an infectious disease caused by viruses. Even though it is similar to the common cold, its symptoms are more severe and pronounced.
According to Ayurveda, Influenza results from an imbalance of the Kapha and Vata Doshas (Ayurvedic humors representing Water and Air respectively). Cold develops in the body when there’s an excess of Kapha’s cool, moist characteristics, causing a stuffy or runny nose and sneezing. And, excess Vata reduces the body’s digestive fire, so you get the chills.
The Ayurvedic treatment of Influenza consists of pacifying the aggravated body energies, expelling excess mucus, restoring peripheral circulation, strengthening digestion and boosting immunity.
- Aching muscles and headache
- Running nose
- Sore throat
Influenza is primarily caused by a virus in the body. It spreads when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or even talks around others. It can easily spread by touching a surface like a telephone, keyboard or doorknob that has been contaminated and then from your hand to your nose or mouth. Breathing the air where a contagious person has been may also pass the flu onto you.
Diet & Lifestyle:
- Make sure you get at least 7-8 hours of good sleep every night. This will boost your immune system and enhance the ojas (energy) in your body.
- Try Panchakarma therapies – specialized Ayurvedic massage techniques – that are extremely useful in cleansing the body and giving it renewed vitality.
- Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water each day to flush accumulated ama (toxins) from your system.
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet to keep your body strong, nourished, and ready to fight infection. Stick with whole grains, colorful vegetables, and vitamin-rich fruits.
- Support your immune system by exercising moderately on a regular basis. It helps in increasing blood circulation and eliminating the blockage in body channels.
- Take powders of 1 gm cardamom, 1gm black pepper and 1/2 gm dry ginger in a spoon of honey and consume 2-3 times daily.
- Take 5 gm each of ginger, black pepper, cardamom, clove, cinnamon and turmeric with 30 gm of sugar. Make a powder of all these products. Take half to one teaspoonful and mix it nicely with honey. Such a recipe can be taken twice a day.
Note: Medicine should be taken according to vaidya/docter
Treatment with Remedies