Tonsillitis is an inflammatory condition of the tonsils caused by bacterial infection. The tonsils – part of the body’s lymphatic system are situated at the back of the throat. These two balls of tissue help in preventing infection and disease. However, at times, these tonsils get inflamed due to bacterial or viral infection, causing Tonsillitis. This disease is quite common in children and is often accompanied by fever.
In Ayurveda, tonsillitis is known as Galaayu, which is mainly caused by poor digestion and accumulation of toxins in the body. Therefore, Ayurvedic treatment aims at treating the entire immune system, aiming to eliminate the risk for long term. Ayurvedic herbs are administered to eliminate inflammation and infection, along with customized diet and lifestyle advice that is based on the patient’s body constitution and medical history.
- Swelling on tonsils
- Pain in the throat and difficulty in swallowing
The most common cause of tonsillitis is bacterial or viral infection. This infection is primarily caused due to excessive intake of fried, greasy foods, chocolates, sweets, spices, white flour products, cold and frozen foods.
Diet & Lifestyle:
- Drink lots and lots of liquids. Try hot teas with honey, and clear soups. For some people, warm beverages help relieve the pain of Tonsillitis better than cold ones do.
- Dont drink acid drinks and try to avoid spicy food as it may irritate your throat. Sour substances like curds, buttermilk, and fried foods should also be avoided.
- Give plenty of rest to your throat and try not to talk too much.
- Avoid passive cigarette smoking and getting into polluted areas.
- Eat foods that are soft and easy to swallow.
- Mix one fourth teaspoon of salt in half a cup of lukewarm water and gargle as often as you can.
- Mix equal quantities of powders of mulethi (licorice), vacha (sweet flag) and kulanjan (galangal) along with honey. This soothes the throat and cures inflammation.
- Apply hot fomentation externally on the front side of the neck twice or thrice a day.
Note: Medicine should be taken according to vaidya/docter
Treatment with Remedies