Sinusitis Known as Pinas in Ayurveda, sinusitis is a condition in which the sinuses are blocked with mucus and become inflamed. Sinusitis may attack people of any age and sex. Kids suffering from cold and other viral infections are prone to Sinusitis, and so are Asthma patients.
Ayurvedic treatment of sinusitis involves liquefying and expelling aggravated body energies with the use of certain Ayurvedic herbs and diet as well as nasal therapies and applications. The Panchakarma treatment of Nasya is quite effective in dealing with sinusitis.
- Heaviness in the head
- Feeling of heaviness
- Blocked or runny nose
Increased intake of dry,oily, spicy, or too hot or too cold foods, and foods that are heavy, indigestible and incompatible foods cause impairment of all three doshas. Impaired Kapha (Water) accumulates in the sinuses, thus blocking the flow of Vata (Air). Impaired Pitta (Fire) causes swelling and irritation of the tissues of the sinuses. Other factors responsible for this condition are suppressing natural urges of tears and vomiting, exposure to cold or dusty and dry weather, staying awake till late in the night, and sleeping in the daytime.
Diet & Lifestyle:
- Have freshly-prepared and easily-digestible warm food, lots of vegetables, and fresh fruits.
- Take warm water plain, or prepare it with cinnamon and black pepper.
- Avoid cold, heavy, oily foods, cold drinks, chocolates, ice cream, cold water, etc.
- Sleep while lying on one side and with a pillow beneath the head. This prevents the accumulation of mucus in the air passages and helps to avoid difficulties in breathing.
- Boil 1 to 2 liters of water and add a few drops of clove oil (or a large spoonful of cloves), 10-12 crushed mint leaves and a few drops of eucalyptus oil. Inhale the steam for 10-15 minutes. Continue this twice a day until congestion clears and then once a week to clear the phlegm that gets deposited in the sinusitis.
- Take 5 gm each of ginger, black pepper, cardamom, clove, cinnamon and turmeric with 30 gm of sugar. Make a powder of all these products. Take half teaspoonful and mix it nicely with honey. Such a recipe can be taken twice a day.
Note: Medicine should be taken according to vaidya/docter
Treatment with Remedies