Cirrhosis is a late stage of fibrosis of the liver caused by many forms of liver diseases and conditions, like as hepatitis and chronic alcohol abuse. The liver carries out several necessary functions, including detoxifying harmful substances in your body, cleaning your blood and making vital nutrients.
Cirrhosis occurs in response to damage to your liver. The liver damage done by cirrhosis cant be undone. But if liver cirrhosis is diagnosed early and the cause is treated, further damage can be limited. As cirrhosis progresses, more and more scar tissue forms, making it difficult for the liver to function (Decompensated cirrhosis). Advanced cirrhosis is life-threatening.
Liver cirrhosis is many times compared with Kumbhakaamla described in Ayurveda.
From Ayurvedic perspectives, liver cirrhosis reflects extreme aggravation of pitta dosha. Since liver is a seat of pitta, aggravated pitta affects the liver function and later vitiates other doshas as well. Rasa and rakta dhatus are particularly intoxicated while other dhatus too become weak. Almost all functions of pitta such as digestion of food, complexion of skin, feeling of hunger, production of blood etc get considerably hampered.
- Bleeding easily
- Bruising easily
- Itchy skin
- Yellow discoloration in the skin and eyes (jaundice).
- Fluid accumulation in your abdomen (ascites).
- Loss of appetite
- Swelling in your legs
- Weight loss
- Confusion, drowsiness and slurred speech (hepatic encephalopathy)
- Spider-like blood vessels on your skin
Though liver cirrhosis is caused by excessive alcohol consumption in majority of cases, some viral infections (such as hepatitis B, C viruses), autoimmunity, heredity and other factors damaging the liver can also cause it.
Diet & Lifestyle:
- All fatty, oily, fried and spicy substances and hard to digest foods should not be taken.
- Alcohol should be strictly banned and also tea, coffee and tobacco should be avoided.
- Cow’s milk or goat’s milk, sugarcane juice should be given. Butter milk should be preferred over curd. Garlic is also considered to be helpful for cirrhosis of the liver.
- If the abdomen is accumulated with fluids, the diet should be made salt free for the patient.
- The condition worsens if there is constipation and should be removed.
- Plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables should be included in the diet. Vegetables which taste bitter like bitter gourd, drumsticks should be taken.
- Heavy exercises should not be done and only slow walking is recommended.
- Papaya seeds are helpful in curing this disease. The papaya seeds should be grounded and mixed with one tea spoon of lemon juice and taken twice daily. This is an excellent home remedy for cirrhosis of liver.
- Carrot juice and spinach juice are extremely useful for different condition of the liver. Hence, a mixture of carrot and spinach juice should be taken which increases the efficiency of the liver.
- The leaves of fig are also used as a beneficial remedy for cirrhosis of the liver. The leaves of fig are mashed with sugar and 200 ml of water should be taken two times in a day.
- Radish is also helpful in curing the cirrhosis of the liver. Radish in any form should be included in the diet. Also juice made of radish leaves and soft stem should be consumed on an empty stomach every morning.
- Taking lime juice with a pinch of rock salt is the simplest and the most efficient way to improve the functioning of the liver.
- Tomato juice with a pinch of rock salt is also a good remedy for this condition.
Note: Medicine should be taken according to vaidya/docter
Treatment with Remedies