Having at least three loose motions in 24 hours in called diarrhoea in modern science.Diarrhoea is a very common problem affecting all age groups at one time or another.Epidemics of diarrhoea are seen in all parts of world. In Ayurveda, diarrhoea is called Atisaar.
According to Ayurveda, weak gastric fire, improper food, impure water, toxins and mental stress usually cause atisaar. Aggravated vata pulls down the fluid part from various tissues of the body and brings it into the intestine. There this fluid mixes with the stool which then leads to loose, watery motions.
Depending upon which particular Dosha is vitiated, atisaar has been classified into Vataj, Pittaj, Kaphaj, Sannipatik, Bhayaj and Shokaj types in Ayurveda.
Vataj atisaar (caused mainly by vitiated Vayu) is marked by painful loose motions with sounds & foam, gases and cramps.
Pittaj atisaar (caused mainly by vitiated Pitta) causes motions with burning sensation at anus, offensive odour and varying colours like green, red, blue. Thirst, giddiness, sweating and fever are often present.
Kaphaj atisaar (caused mainly by vitiated Kapha) shows sticky, oily, whitish motions with foul odour, nausea, lazy feeling and excess sleep.
Sannipatik atisaar is caused by vitiation of all three Doshas and therefore have mixed characteristics.
Bhayaj and Shokaj atisaar are caused by fear and grief respectively.
- Multiple loose, watery motions
- Cramps in abdomen
- Reduction in urine quantity
- Bleeding with stools
- Burning of anus
- Low BP
Diarrhoea is most commonly caused by the infections of bacteria, viruses and parasites in digestive system. These microbes generally enter the digestive system through infected food, water, milk, flesh or other eatables. Diseases like cholera and typhoid also cause diarrohea. Non-infectious conditions that can cause diarrhoea are inflammatory bowel disease, Crohns disease, irritable bowel syndrome,intestinal allergies, intolerance to lactose or gluten and hyperthyroidism.
Diet & Lifestyle:
- Sufficient intake of water and liquid foods is always advised in diarrhoea.
- Light, easy to digest food articles such as liquid rice, porridge are recommended. Soups made from lentils are also good in diarrhoea. Fruits like sweet lime, oranges, apple, melons are allowed.
- Heavy, spicy, fried food is prohibited. Non-veg items, eggs are also not allowed. Sugarcane juice is also forbidden.
- Water is advised to be boiled before drinking.
- While goat milk is more recommended, cows milk may also be allowed. Buffalo milk is however forbidden. Mothers milk is however always allowed.
- Mix one teaspoon of sugar and half a teaspoon of common salt in a cup of water. Small doses of this mixture (around a quarter cup) can be given whenever the patient is thirsty.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of cinnamon, ginger and cumin powder with honey to make a paste. Take 1 teaspoon three times a day.
Note: Medicine should be taken according to vaidya/docter
Treatment with Remedies