Inability to completely evacuate the bowels or passing very hard stools is known as Constipation or Vibandh in Ayurveda. This prevalent problem is due to an incorrect lifestyle and poor eating patterns. Although constipation is often looked upon as a common problem, if not treated or if treatment is delayed, it can lead to further problems such as fissures, fistulas, piles, lack of appetite and indigestion.
According to Ayurveda, undigested food and occult stool slowly accumulate in the stomach and large intestines respectively and impair Vata Dosha, resulting in obstruction of the digestive tract. When the digestive tract is not clear, the body will not be able to facilitate proper bowel movement, thereby leading to the condition of constipation
- Indigestion (dyspepsia)
- Abdominal pain
- Pain at the anus
- Heaviness of body
- Lack of appetite
- Acid eructation (belching)
The basic cause is weak digestive power that results from irregular and incorrect eating patterns, not taking in enough fluids, taking a diet that is low in fiber, a sedentary lifestyle, and bowel evacuation habits that are poor. These all lead to incomplete digestion of the food, which is not expelled by the intestines and causes the formation of ama (mucus). Foods that are heavy and difficult to digest, as well as oily, spicy, fried, and junk foods are the culprits. Eating food in a disturbed atmosphere or in front of the television and being awake late at night all lead to bowel disturbance. Psychological factors like stress, anxiety, fear, jealousy, and sorrow also play an important role.
Diet & Lifestyle:
- Increase intake of fiber diet, whole grains nuts especially fruits apple, banana and cooked vegetables.
- Drink 7-8 glasses of water each day, preferably lukewarm in winters and room temperature water in summers.
- Have a mid-morning soup, preferably prepared with spinach and tomato.
- Take daily morning and evening walks for at least 20-30 minutes each.
- Avoid refined foods like white flour, bread, pasta, pizza, white rice, High protein foods like cheese, red meat, and soybeans etc.
- Having excessively cold food like ice cream or chilled drinks reduces the bowel movement.
- Take one table spoon of castor oil at bed time until you get relief.
- Develop a habit of drinking water in the morning. Start with 2 glasses of water and increase intake up to 6 - 7 glasses. It is more beneficial if this water can be stored in a copper container overnight.
- Soak 3-4 dried figs after washing them overnight in water. Eat them first thing in the morning and also drink the water in which they were soaked. They should also be taken in the evening. Try this treatment for 3-4 weeks.
Note: Medicine should be taken according to vaidya/docter
Treatment with Remedies