Ringworm is a skin infection caused by a fungus. Ringworm can affect skin on your body (tinea corporis), scalp (tinea capitis), groin area (tinea cruris, also called jock itch), or feet (tinea pedis, also called athletes foot). Often, there are several patches of ringworm on your skin at once.
According to Ayurveda this problem is known as “dadru”. The involved dosha is kapha- vata. Kapha is an Ayurvedic humour, which symbolizes mucus. It is cold, heavy, dense and sticky in nature. Vata is another Ayurvedic humour, which symbolizes air or wind. It is cold, dry, subtle and mobile. Kapha and vata dosha manifest in the skin and cause accumulation of toxins. These toxins accumulate in deeper tissues of skin like rasa (nutrient plasma), rakta, (blood), mansa (muscles) and lasika (lymphatic). These toxins cause contamination of deeper tissues. Contamination of deeper tissues and aggravation of kapha/vata dosha leads to ringworm.
Third involved dosha is pitta. Pitta is third dosha which symbolizes heat or fire. Thus it is tridoshaj disease, in which prime involved doshas are kapha and vata.
Food and habits increasing Kapha and Pitta – itching and burning sensations are the pridominant symptoms, contributed by Kapha and Pitta respectively.
Excess intake of sea food
Heavy food intake
Intake of sour curd and milk, together, in excess for long period of time
Excess intake of black gram
Diet & Lifestyle:
- You should avoid Non- veg foods, artificial foods, fast foods, cold drinks. Tomatoes, excessive salt, white flour such as bread, cakes, pastries, pizza etc.
Tea, coffee, alcohol and smoking are also pitta aggravating. Milk product like yogurt should be avoided. Rather than these foods stress on foods, which are sweet, blend, alkaline in nature.
- Foods that should be included are grains, rice, pasta, beans, breads, dairy products, sweet drinks and juices. Fresh vegetables and fresh fruits should be taken.
- Boil 10-15 Neem leaves in 3 cups of water until half the water gets evaporated. Wash the tinea lesions with this water.
- Rub papaya over the tinea lesions. It is very effective.
- Add little milk in turmeric and apply this mixture on tinea lesions. Wash away after half an hour 3 / 4 times in a day.
Note: Medicine should be taken according to vaidya/docter
Treatment with Remedies